BUS ACCIDENTS LAWYER
Liability In a Bus Accident in California
Many people who have no transportation of their own rely on buses to get to work, go to school, run errands, go to doctor appointments, shop for their families, etc. Buses and other forms of mass transportation allow our economy to thrive, as well as reduce traffic and pollution. But, like any other large vehicles on the road, buses can be involved in serious accidents.
If you or a family member has been injured while riding a bus, or been injured in an accident with a bus, you may be able to pursue compensation for your injuries. But, bus companies are insured and insurance companies have lawyers highly skilled in mitigating the amount of fault their clients can be found liable for. Also, many buses are run by a public entity, such as a school district, and their liability may be legally protected to a certain degree.
Don’t try to reach a settlement with an insurance company on your own, you need to seek the advice of an experienced vehicle accident and personal injury attorney. The California injury attorneys at A1 Accident Lawyer has been successfully representing accident victims for over 23 years. Let us fight for you and get you the settlement you justly deserve.
Call (714) 535-5090 today for a free consultation.
Bus Accident Statistics
The following bus accident statistics have been compiled using data from the U.S. Department of Transportation:
- About 24,000 people are injured in bus accidents each year in the U.S.
- In America, over 700 million passengers ride buses each year.
- A combined 28 million miles are traveled by bus passengers, annually.
- There are approximately 30,000 commercial buses on America’s roadways.
- Daily, there are about 450,000 school buses. This number decreases on weekends and during school vacations.
- Annually, about 12,000 children are injured on school buses in the U.S.
- Approximately 11 children are killed each year in bus accidents.
- In 2011, the year for which the most recent data is available, 383 were killed in bus accidents.
Bus Accident Injuries
For several reasons, the injuries suffered in bus accident can be far more severe than accidents involving passenger vehicles. The reasons for this include:
- Bus passengers are often standing. This is almost always the case on crowded public transportation buses or trains.
- Passengers sitting on buses are usually unrestrained by seat belts. While some states, like Florida, are required to have seat belts on school buses, the responsibility to put on that seat belt and fasten it properly is that of the child.
- Since passengers are not driving the bus, they are not watching the road and will probably not see an upcoming collision. They won’t be able to brace themselves for the impact.
- Buses have a higher center of gravity, making them more likely to tip over.
Because bus passengers are rarely restrained, they have the potential for more injuries. Imagine what happens inside a bus at the moment of impact. People will be thrown out of their seats, thrown against the sides of the bus, and thrown into other passengers. This is why bus accident injuries often include:
- Bone breaks and fractures
- Torn tendons and ligaments
- Severe cuts, lacerations, and bruising
- Facial fractures
- Brain injuries, such as concussions or skull fractures
Establishing liability in a bus accident can be tricky, and many times more than one party may be at fault. If another vehicle runs into a bus, the driver of that vehicle is liable. But, what if the bus causes the accident, who is liable in that case? There are several parties that can be held liable when a bus causes an accident:
- The bus driver: Bus drivers must have special driver’s licenses and undergo training and testing. If the driver fell asleep, was under the influence, or was distracted or negligent in any way, they can be held liable for the accident.
- The bus company: The owner of the bus is required to perform timely maintenance of their buses and make sure they are in safe running order. Bus companies must also thoroughly vet and train any drivers they hire.
- The tour company: The tour company has a duty to hire a bus company with a good safety record.
- Municipalities in charge of roads: If a pothole, non-function traffic light, or any other road condition contributes to the accident, they can be held liable.
- The bus manufacturer: If the bus’s design or manufacturing contributed to the accident, they can be held liable.
Contact an Experienced Anaheim Bus Accident Attorney
If you or a family member is injured in a California bus accident, you need to contact an experienced auto accident attorney in Anaheim. The legal team at A1 Accident Lawyer will see that you and your family gets a just settlement that covers your losses.
Call (714) 535-5090 today for a free consultation.
A1AccidentLawyer Rated 5/5
based on 31 customer reviews
Check Out All Reviews Here
We Get Results
Mr. Stephen Mashney was my lawyer in a recent case. Throughout our discussions he identified all the possible outcomes in… Read more “Natalie K”
I used A1 Accident Lawyer when I had my auto accident and was very pleased with their top notch service.… Read more “Basil I”
Mr. Mashney of A1 Accident Lawyer a terrific attorney. I had to meet with Mr. Mashney regarding a construction issue… Read more “Evelyn C”
I had to deal with some legalities just recently and called up Sammy Mashney since he is just a few… Read more “Edna E”
A1 Accident Lawyer is everything a law firm should be. They combine conscience with competence, principle with professionalism. When speaking… Read more “White B”
Had a great experience with Mr. Mashney. He was very professional and gave me good advice. He took my concerns… Read more “Lyna N”
I strongly recommend the support of the A1 Accident Lawyer for both business and individual legal matters. within at least… Read more “Yasser A”
I don’t know where to start. Mr. Sami has been my Attorny for years. He is loyal, intelligent and wonderful… Read more “Fadi A”
I would like to thank attorney Stephen Mashney for his exceptional work in handling my case. He and his staff… Read more “Mike A”
I was a student in need, and Stephen resolved my problem. I was so concerned with the cost because I… Read more “Emmanuel V”
A couple years ago I was in a car accident that was extremely life changing to the point where I… Read more “Zainab E”
Good business, very satisfied, they always call and update you with concerns from your Case, very professional and honest”
The best Law Office in Orange County. The staff it’s always cordial and very attentive with me all the time… Read more “Maria V”
Professional, helpful, honest. In the few times I have needed legal advice, the team here has gone through lengths to… Read more “Adam J”
A1 Accident Lawyer firm has been handling all my business legal matters since 1999. They set up my corporations, review… Read more “Sam A”
Out of all the attorneys that i have had to use mr mashney is the best.when i had a problem… Read more “Rusty H”
Mr. Mashney is the best! Definitely recommend him to anyone in need of legal help. He’s very honest and truly… Read more “Jasmina S”
My license was suspended after I received a ticket for crossing a double yellow line on the freeway, being in… Read more “Jad I”
Sam (Stephen) knows immigration laws, and the staff are very helpful and resourceful. I got a great value for the… Read more “Andre A”
I have to say they are amazing. Extremely professional and helpful. I have always seen lawyers as people just out… Read more “Araceli A”
Stephen and Sherie have helped me on multiple occasions with my minor legal issues. I’m grateful for their assistance.”
Picking a lawyer to represent you is extremely difficult. Fortunately for me, I was referred to A1 Accident Lawyer by… Read more “Nezar A”
The A1 Accident Lawyer, did an excellent job with my case. Their team (specially Sherie) were extremely helpful, they answered… Read more “April H”
We came in regarding a judgment on my boyfriends credit and an order for garnishment we weren’t sure what to… Read more “Serennaa B”
After I was rear-ended on the freeway and totaled my car, it was a real dilemma for me. The damn… Read more “Melissa G”
After getting into a car accident A1 Accident Lawyer helped me the whole way through. They kept me informed on… Read more “Berlin F”
If you’ve been hurt in an accident and you are considering finding an injury claim lawyer to get any compensation… Read more “Mike R”
I have been looking for a legal consultation regarding a matter and i started looking online for an office to… Read more “Mohamed K”
A1 Accident Lawyer helped me tremendously in the times I needed legal action taken. This firm has there priorities organized,… Read more “Omar H”
This lawyer is really trustworthy because he gave us the advice without knowing us. I really recommend him. He is… Read more “Tarek A”
Mr Mashney and his entire staff are the most professional and responsive team I have ever encountered in his fields… Read more “Byron C”